Monday, November 29, 2004

Fond Memories

© 10 September 2004, The Griot Poet

A open letter to the president and his political opponent:

I have fond memories of Vietnam.
I was too young and protected from harm

Of the draft and a war
Started on the “lie of Tonklin”
From another Texas president.

I have fond memories of Vietnam.
I was too young and protected from harm

Yet: my brothers, cousins were not as fortunate
To have family connections
With Lieutenant Governors
For “Champagne Squadron” appointments.

I have fond memories of Vietnam.
I was too young and protected from harm

I have the vivid memories of mothers’ tears;
More that one Rachel crying: “my babies not here!”

While you missed
Legal drills,
Your opponent, frat brother and blood relative
Swift-Boated the Mekong Delta
Four months
For thrills,

Medals and
Future political
Appointments.

Not a gray hair
On either of you is out of place,
Yet, no space in print or cyberspace
Mentions long Skull and Bones
Affiliations of the country’s
Next president.
Connie Chung, anyone?

My cousin Willie
Came back from ‘Nam
Staring into space,
LSD addicted,
With three personalities.

My friend Cleo
Died from leukemia
From Agent Orange
Defoliation not long
After my 16th birthday.

An open letter to the president and his political opponent during this “lie of Iraq engagement”:

I was too young to go and protected from harm,
But, I have very fond memories of Vietnam!

No comments: